We all know that the sun can be damaging to the skin. However, many of us like to have a freshly tanned summer glow. While some people like to bathe in the sun for their tans, others prefer self-tanners instead. Self-tanners can help you achieve that sun kissed look without the damages of the sun’s UV rays.
There are many different types of sunless tanners on the market. They include sprays, lotions and creams. The type you choose is a matter of preference. Some people even like to vary the type of product they use based on the body part. Here is a brief outline of different forms of self-tanners and tips to achieve the best look possible.
1. Lotions - The benefit of a self-tanning lotion is that you can apply it to large areas. They usually have a tint, which makes it easier for you to see where you are applying it. This also helps you to blend for a more even looking tan. These are great for beginners because they are easy to use.
2. Creams- These work just like lotions. They are easy to use as well, and tinted to help you see where to apply the product on your skin. They are a bit thicker than the lotions.
3. Towelettes- These are convenient for carrying. They are used by simply opening the package and wiping the towelette on your skin. They help keep your tan looking fresh and give you a great glow.
4. Sprays- Unless you know what you are doing, you should probably leave these to the professionals to apply. They need to be sprayed at least 6 inches from the skin and are often best for hard to reach spots, like your back.
Now you are familiar with some of the different types of self-tanners on the market. That is only the first step in getting that golden glow that you desire. Next, you must apply the product. There are steps to achieving that look you desire. Here are some tips to help you get started with your product. Remember, always start out slowly and applying lightly. You can always add more.
1. Always start out with clean, exfoliated skin. The last thing you want is an uneven, streaky looking tan. Don’t use scrubs that contain oils and can block the self-tanner from absorbing. You are better off using a loofah pad. By having clean skin and buffed away dead skin, you are more likely to achieve the look you are going for. Also, make sure to shave any unwanted hair from your legs, armpits, etc.
2. Once you have a clean surface, make sure there are no excess oils on your skin. Those can block the tanner from working properly. This can also lead to a spotty looking tan.
3. Wear gloves! Unless you want to walk around with tan hands, it is best to keep them protected while applying the product. The last thing you want is to have tanned palms.
4. Always start with your feet and work your way up. This will make the process go easier. Remember to check for dark spots after applying to your legs.
5. Be sure to apply a light amount of product on the face. You don’t want to walk around with an orange face. Don’t forget to do under your chin and around the ears and jaw line. Just dab on the product as you would makeup and lightly work it into the area.
6. Save the hands for last. You can’t possibly apply the product to the other areas if your hands are covered in product.
7. If any areas appear too dark, you can easily fix it with a damp cloth. Just gently wipe the area until you have the desired color you want.
8. Give the product time to work. It will gradually become darker. Make sure it is completely dry before applying clothing or lying down. Also avoid showering for at least 8 hours.
9. Your tan should last up to a week. Just remember, before you reapply any new tanner, always exfoliate your skin. You don’t want to wind up with a spotty or blotchy looking tan.
Moisturizing your skin daily will help you to maintain your tan and keep it looking fresh. There are many lotions that can help you to do that. Look for glow lotions or products labeled specifically for maintaining.
If this sounds like a lot of work, or is overwhelming to you, just seek a professional to apply your self-tanning product. There are many professionals available who know what they are doing and can get you the look you want to achieve. You can even ask one to help teach you how to apply product properly and efficiently.
Do you have any tips on attaining the perfect sunless tan? Share them with us in the comments below.
Disclosure: These tips and advice are based on my own personal use. Always seek the advice of a professional before using any products on your skin. Some information obtained from Webmd.com and The Beauty Insiders. Photo source: pixabay.com